Saturday 26 November 2011

Shabby Chic?

I'm very late to the Shabby Chic party.  During its heyday in the 90s, Rachel Ashwell's style failed to move me.  Looking at her rooms, I thought, "Where's the color?  The pattern? The funk?".  It just seemed so sedate and...well...girly.  Not my taste at all. 
Or so I thought.
Fast forward to the present, and I'm seeing shabby chic sneak its way into my home.  It started in the bedroom, where I was looking for the perfect wall color.  I fell in love (unexpectedly) with Benjamin Moore's "Boudoir" - the perfect vintage pink.  I wasn't even entertaining pink as an option; it looked beige on the card.  But when I put it on my walls...magic.  I loved it.

So, off went the earth toned bedspread and on went the white puffy comforter, lace at the windows, and white paint on the trim.  Burgundy - the color I can't live without - had to stay.  Fortunately, my burgundy velvet curtains and accessories fit in perfectly, and gave the room that shot of rich color that I need.

While the downstairs living area is still dressed in earth tones, I revel in my fresh new bedroom.  Now my earthy bohemian side and my romantic girly side both have places to live.

Even Mikko gives it a thumbs up...
Below is some inspiration from Rachell Ashwell's website.
What do you think?  Yay or nay?










No comments:

Post a Comment